Student Accommodation


Livin in Australia as a student offers you a number of choices when it comes to accommodations types, depending on your personal preference.

You can board with an Australian family to get a real taste of everyday life, you can rent a house or an apartment, or you can share accommodations with other students. Here is a look at what these options offer you.


Home Stay

To get a real taste of everyday life in Australia you can stay with an Australian family that has decided to open their home to students. This option is very popular with people new to the country and it’s a great way to get settled in and learn your way around before making a final decision on where to live. Home stay accommodation is offered on a short or long term basis and the institution you are attending can help you get settled with a family that has been selected based on very strict criteria. Matching you and the family is important and this is safe.

The minimum stay with an Australian family is four weeks and you may have your own room or you may share it with another student. The amenities in the room are provided by the host family and may differ from one to the other. You will share the rest of the home with the family and your meals will be provided by them, usually in a half board/full board scheme.

You should arrange for home stay before arriving in Australia by speaking with a counselor so they can get all of the arrangements made and set you up with a suitable family as soon as you arrive. Keep in mind that you will be required to abide by the rules set out by your host family and you may not have as much freedom as you could in other accommodation.


Shared Accommodation

Share accommodation is the most popular with students and overseas travellers. There are no contracts to be signed and everyone living in the same place shares the bills. You have the opportunity to meet new people, learn about other cultures and share in all of the duties of keeping up your accommodation. You may have a bedroom to yourself or share your bedroom with one or more people and the living areas, kitchen and bathrooms are shared by all. Most share accommodation comes fully furnished.

You may find yourself having to abide by the rules that your housemates establish before you arrive, however you do have more freedom in this type of accommodation.




If you plan on staying in Australia for more than six months and will be working during that time you may wish to rent an apartment or house. It is recommended that you establish yourself in Australia first by using one of the other options so that you can take your time finding the right place to rent and saving up the required bond fee.


Read on to find out more…

Figuring out where to live in Australia?

Read about different places around the country

Figuring out where to live in Australia?

Figuring out where to live in Australia?

Find out where to start looking for student accommodation

Need a place to live?

Work as international student

Find out about working in Australia

Work as international student


If you need some friendly advice on studying in Australia, contact our friendly team of education and migration experts today