Many of our clients have different questions about the 482 visa and sometimes the immigration website is not clear enough explaining visas and who is eligible. The Temporary Employer Sponsored visa is to help Australian workforces fill labour shortages within certain occupations, by applying to Immigration and nominating a person that can meet the skills and experience required. It is known as a ‘482 visa’ and is also referred to as Temporary Skill Shortage visa.

There are three streams within the Temporary Employer-Sponsored Visa, these are the “Short term” stream which is a two-year temporary visa, the “Medium term” stream which is up to a 4-year visa, and can have a pathway to PR (after 3 years) and the “labour Agreement” stream which is for less skilled positions in need of workers that cannot be sourced from the local workforce, and must have been approved by Immigration prior to any applicants being nominated.

The stream you can access will depend on the occupation an Employer needs to fill. It also requires you as the nominated applicant to meet the criteria related to your English level, Qualifications, work experience and character.

How does this process work?

  1. The Employer needs to apply to Immigration to be approved as a Business Sponsor (SBS).
  2. The Employer lodges a ‘nomination application’ that shows evidence that no one in the local workforce is suitable and nominates you and your profile for the position.
  3. This is your visa application, which reiterates your skills qualifications and English ability in relation to the nominated position.

For the 482 visa, all 3 steps can be lodged in succession OR an employer can choose to only proceed to the next step once the prior step has been approved.

Once the visa is granted, you and the Employer are then in a legal agreement that you can only work for them and they must meet their obligations related to payments and Employment law.

So anything else you need to know about the 482 visa?

Yes! You as the applicant need to be able to prove at least 2 years of relevant full-time work experience as well as an English test showing your English ability, you can find out more here regarding English test options.

If you have proof of 3 years of full-time experience and a relevant qualification, you may be able to apply for the regional 494 Employer Sponsored visa.
Talk to us today! > Book an appointment here