If you are looking at studying a new career or profession and would like the option to pursue Permanent residency in Australia in the future, then this guide is for you!

Choose the right course:

Choosing the right course at the right level is key. To be recognised as Chef/Motor mechanic/Carpenter in Australia you have to study at the relevant trade level, this occupation is classed as ANZSCO Skill Level 3 so Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery for Chef and Certificate III for Carpenter/Mechanic. This could be a stand-alone course or a package that includes this program. The most common package is the relevant level Certificate and Industry relevant Diploma. Courses vary in length between 12 months – 2 years.

For ANZSCO Skill Level 1 occupations, such as IT, Management, Accountants, Nurses, Engineers etc the study level must be Bachelor, and usually takes 3 years to complete.

En EMSA – Education and Migration Services Australia – we work with a lot of schools around Australia that offer the right cookery course. We can help you enrolling and also during your visa application. Just get in touch!

Upon graduation – Apply for your 485 Visa:

The next step after graduation is to apply for the Visa 485 - Graduate stream – You must be able to show that your study period was at least 92 weeks duration. (there are exceptions if you have any credit transferred from previous studies) That you have the relevant english level

Complete the Job Ready Program/Professional year/paid work experience

For most occupations studied in Australia, you will need to have gained paid work in your occupation for at least 1 year. For trades, this is done through the Job Ready Program. At the end of this program you get your full skills assessment as a Chef/Motor mechanic/Carpenter, and for Level 1 occupations, it is usually done via proof of paid work experience that is then verified during your skills assessment (which is what you need to prove to Immigration that you are a “skilled applicant” for the next steps in your visa journey).

Occupations in IT, Accounting and Engineering can opt to undertake a paid ‘professional year’ which is facilitated by a professional body (the professional year also gives you 5 pts!)

REMEMBER the paid work experience only counts AFTER your graduation date.

¿Qué pasa después?

After you get your Full Skills Assessment issued, you are then eligible to apply for residency in Australia.   We say eligible, because you need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) with Immigration, and they periodically send invitations to apply for residency visas. You need to have a minimum of 65 points to be considered for invitation. This is why factors such as English level, age, where you studied and work will play a vital role to get you more points.

It’s important that you check whether the state you are living in, can give you extra points (through state sponsorship) as this way might be easier and faster to receive an invitation. State nomination results in 5 points towards your EOI and a 190 PR visa, and regional nomination results in 15 points towards your EOI and a 491 TR (5yr) visa with a pathway to PR after 3 years.

Expression of interest

This stage is where you add up all your points based on a number of factors. These factors include your age, your English ability, your qualifications, your years of experience both in Australia or overseas, whether you’ve done a test as a translator and interpreter, whether you’ve studied in Australia, studied in a regional area, and depending on if you have a partner or you’re single, you can gain additional points.

65 points wont get an invitation for a 189 visa, but the options for the 190 and 491 are high, as each state will consider occupations with different points at 65 or above – depending on how ‘in demand’ the occupation is to their states economy. Lets use an example:

Joe is a Carpenter, and as this occupation is on the skilled list and one of the top 10 occupations in demand in Australia. Let’s do an example of how many points he would have..

  • He is 30, which would get him 30 points, as the age bracket of 25yr-33 yrs gives the maximum points. (When he turns 34, he would only get 25 points for his age).
  • He holds a passport from UK so he is confident he can achieve a good English score on the official test approved by Immigration – for example, if he gets 7s in an IELTS test, this would give him 10 points. This blog explains the options for English tests.
  • Joe’s formal qualification is an Australian trade certificate, so he gets 10 points for Education level.
  • Joe has studied for 2 years so he gets 5 points, he also studied at the TAFE on the Gold Coast, so he gets another 5 points for regional study.
  • Joe completed his Job ready program, of one year paid employment as a Carpenter after his studies, so he gets 5 points for 1 year work in Australia
  • Joe’s partner can get a competent score in English and give him 5 points

Theoretically, Joe would have a total of 70 points, which is above the minimum but what are his options to increase his points and get invited as fast as possible? As we explained in this blog, a state or region can give either 5 points or 15 points towards the EOI score (if you are willing to live and work in a regional location).

So if Joe were to lodge an ‘Expression of Interest (EOI) and select a state that lists his occupation, then he would have the potential to increase his points, have less competition and be invited to lodge a permanent residency visa!

Invitation received and visa to lodge!

Should your points be sufficient you will receive an invitation to apply for a visa!