The Priority Migration Skilled list has been updated and 22 occupations have been deemed critical and needed to support Australias economic recovery from COVID-19. This list was created in September 2020 to prioritise the visa processing of certain occupations during the pandemic.
This update has added occupations such as Chef, Accountant and various types of engineers to bring the Priority Migration Skilled List to 41 occupations in total.
What it means for business?
This is very good news for businesses struggling to find employees. Furthermore, this means that companies that want to sponsor applicants for Employer Sponsored Visas with an occupation on the PMSOL, will be given priority processing.
What if the employee is overseas?
If you are overseas and sponsored by an employer in one of the occupations on the PMSOL, then a travel exemption can be requested.
An individual may submit a request for a travel exemption under this category or a business can submit a request on their behalf. Applications of multiple travellers within the same group/business can be linked, so that the requests are considered together.
To gain an exemption, the employee needs to have been granted a visa and apply at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before planned travel.
Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List occupations (as at 22nd June 2021)
The 22 new occupations are (including ANZSCO codes):
- Accountant (General) (221111)
- Accountant (Taxation) (221113)
- Accountant (Management) (221112)
- External Auditor (221213)
- Internal Auditor (221214)
- Electrical Engineer (233311)
- Civil Engineer (233211)
- Structural Engineer (233214)
- Geotechnical Engineer (233212)
- Transport Engineer (233215)
- Mining Engineer (233611)
- Petroleum Engineer (233612)
- Surveyor (232212)
- Cartographer (232213)
- Other Spatial Scientist (232214)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
- Orthotist / Prosthetist (251912)
- Multimedia Specialist (261211)
- Analyst Programmer (261311)
- Software and Applications Programmers (261399)
- ICT Security Specialist (262112)
- Chef (351311)
The full list can be found here
If your company is facing skill shortages and you are interested in bringing workers to Australia, the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List – PMSOL , might the answer. Our team of migration specialists can assist with:
- Assessing your candidate for migration
- Undertaking the employer sponsorship process (nomination and visa)
- Applying for travel exemptions
- Sourcing candidates internationally (hospitality only)
If you are a corporate client, we offer a free consultation to showcase how we can assist.